Population pyramid generator
The Population pyramid generator allows you to generate population pyramids for the whole population and for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations for a range of geographical areas. For example:
- generate a population pyramid for the total population by age group in Population Health Areas (PHAs), Local Government Areas (LGAs), Primary Health Networks (PHNs), or Section of State (e.g., Sydney/ non-metropolitan NSW);
- generate a population pyramid for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population by Indigenous Area (IARE), Indigenous Region (IREG), or Section of State (e.g., Sydney/ non-metropolitan NSW), or compare profiles by Indigenous status;
- compare population pyramids for two areas e.g., Parramatta (C) and the Sydney GCCSA, or the IAREs of Port Hedland and Broome;
- compare the population in Broome IARE by Indigenous status; and
- build a snapshot (save image as a .png file)
Datasource and Notes
2018 ERP (PHA, LGA, and PHN) – ABS Estimated Resident Population
2016 erp (IARE) – PHIDU estimated resident population.
- There is a substantial difference between the Census counts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians and the estimated resident population (ERP), adjusted for net undercount as measured by the Post Enumeration Survey undertaken by the ABS (the ERP is 17.5% higher for Australia than the Census count). Given this difference, and as the ABS has not released Aboriginal ERP by age at the Indigenous Area level used in the Social Health Atlases, PHIDU has produced an estimated resident population at 2016. This is of particular importance for the calculation of rates of hospitalisation, mortality etc.
- The ERP for June 2016 for Aboriginal populations is available from the ABS for Statistical Areas Level 2 (SA2, total population only): PHIDU concorded the SA2 populations to produce a 2016 ERP for each IARE (total population only). The ERP for 2016 is available by Indigenous Region (IREG), by 5-year age group. To produce estimated resident populations by age group for each IARE, PHIDU applied the proportional age distribution from the Census counts (usual resident population) in each IARE to the ERP total for the IARE.
Please note that areas with populations below 100 have been excluded.
The default setting shows the populations as a per cent in each age group: this can be changed to show the numbers.
- To get a clearer comparison, select the area of main interest as comparator 2.
- To assist you in your search for an area (e.g., LGA, PHA, PHN), click on 'Select Area Type' and type the name of the area which you are searching for.
This functionality might vary depending on your Internet browser e.g., the first letter typed will activate an area, the second will activate a new area.
View population pyramids
View the population pyramids for: